Sunday, August 8, 2010

Homesickness

Today is the first day that the homesickness has really hit. Don't get me wrong, I am having SO much fun. Friday I had dinner with a bunch of French exchange students and yesterday was the Upplands tour so I saw Linnaeus' house and a castle that I really cannot remember the name of. I also visited Sigtuna, which is this really picturesque town near Uppsala. Apparently it's a tourist attraction around here, but I don't think anyone in my tour group had ever heard of it. Maybe it's like Knotts Berry Farm, which is really popular for a lot of people, but most people haven't heard of it.

The homesickness just kind of hits randomly though. Like being lost causes it. Or realizing that today is Kyle's birthday and I can't see him or make a big deal out of it to annoy him. Or grocery shopping, because even though I'm working on learning the words there are situations where you are looking at two versions of something and it's really hard to figure out what the difference is. I kind of realized how far from home I am yesterday at a club when the guys I was hanging out with started speaking Swedish to me and then they were like "sorry, you're going to have to get used to this happening".

Someone should come visit me here! Someone such as Gavin who I miss very much.

1 comment: