Sunday, August 1, 2010

Beginning

Alright, I finally have this thing up and running (sort of).
Well I made it safe and sound after nearly 14 hours of flying and layovers and irritation. Naturally they got my bags mixed up and I decided just to wait at the airport until it arrived. Actually this turned out pretty well, because Mel was on the next flight so we met up and I had someone to do all the boring first few days stuff with.
Otherwise, I've just been unpacking and getting to know the area. On Friday night, Mel and I went with her international buddy (a person who is supposed to help you adjust to life in Sweden) and one of his friends to a nation. A nation is like the center of social life here, and you join one at the beginning of the school year so that you can get into your nation's events for free or discounted amounts. That night was a club night, and the three of them were pretty amused by the fact that I've never been able to go to bars in America, so this was my first time being able to drink legally and they made a bunch of jokes about this being my 21st birthday. I can't wait until my camera's issues are fixed so I can upload the pictures, we all look silly and happy in all of them.
Today was my tour of Stockholm. I went to a museum about a warship from the 1600s that sailed for approximately 1 hour before it sank. I loved looking at all the skeletons they recovered! Then I had a tour of the old part of town and got to wander around and get coffee and food and stuff. Also I've learned the Swedes drink as much coffee as I do, which is beautiful!

Tomorrow my Swedish class starts, which is nice because I hate having to say "English?" every time someone talks to me. I always feel like a stupid American, so hopefully I'll get to the point where I can at least order a sandwich or get directions in Swedish.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having fun. The only thing worse than having to say "English?" is when you say "English?" in the host country's native language and they still look at you like you're on crack. :) <3 ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine that once you learn how to get directions to a sandwich-making establishment and order a sandwich, no further mastery of the language is required.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tip:Fika
    Fika is a crucial tool for absorbing and understanding the essence of Swedish culture.
    When you have mastered this essential tool,you will have no problem navigating through the
    smorgasbord of delecious daily adventures that the country of lagom can offer.

    ReplyDelete