Monday, December 6, 2010

Sigtuna Christmas markets


Yesterday was my first really holiday-ish day. I went to the Sigtuna Christmas markets. I went to Sigtuna once before in August because it is a really wellknown place in Upplands, which is the part of Sweden that Uppsala is in, but it looks SO different covered in snow. I remember walking around in August going, wow, this is just a normal town. But when it's all snowy and filled with people you can really see how small and cute it is. And the lake that I thought was so gross? Completely different when it's frozen over and your friends convince you to try walking on it! 

Soon, some nearby skiiers came over to see what we were doing and pointed out that they were prepared for this activity (with skis and ice picks and these weird orange things that they claimed would help them breathe) and that we were not. We heeded their warning and went back to the market.

      
Some idiot standing on a frozen lake
  
Her equally dumb friends
Non dangerous things that we did included looking around and buying sugared almonds. I also tried a nonalcoholic version of Glögg, which is this hot wine with cinnamon, sugar, and some other spices, and sometimes with a stronger spirit. It was good, but way too sweet for me.

We also had lunch in this adorable cafe. I got to have kladdkaka, which is something that I have been neglecting with my recent traveling and not being in Uppsala long enough to hang out in cafes. Plus, the nations have terrible kladdkaka. 

The funniest part of the day was when Shereen and I were walking around and we came across two little kids selling candied apples. We were just like "oh, sorry, we don't speak Swedish," and this kid who could not have been more than 8 says "oh, no Swedish, that's okay!" in a perfect American accent and then proceeds to try to sell us the apples. He even remembered us because later he spoke English as we were passing again. Living in Sweden is really making me aware of my own lack of language abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment