Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fika: a closer look

So you've decided to try out your first fika. I am proud of you. It is a big step forward in understanding the Swedes.

First you might want to know what "fika" is. According to wikipedia "fika is both a Swedish verb and noun that roughly means "to drink coffee," usually accompanied by something sweet"

Now that sounds nonthreatening, but I assure you that as an American (or anyone from a more stressful society) this is a concept that will be riddled with obstacles. Black is instructions. Blue is what you will think at each step.

Step 1: you buy coffee. What is kladdkaka? What is kannelbullar? 


Step 2: you sit down. Yep, the vanilla sauce on the kladdkaka was definitely the right choice.

Step 3: you realize that you're going to be sitting here drinking coffee with someone with only your own conversation to entertain you both. ...?!?...

Step 4: you scramble to think of topics. What should we do about the middle east? Oh, no, is Kazakhstan in the middle east? Okay how about the most recent election? Wait, Sweden just had an election? 

Step 5: you try for simpler topics. It's raining. Yes. I like the rain. I'm eating coffee. No, wait, I'm DRINKING coffee. How are you? Oh I already asked you that. How are you now?

It's a zombie pan
everyone can agree on waffles
Step 6: you finally land on topics you can both agree on. Here are some examples of topics that I've used in the past:    

My obsession with UN bears
 
If you have nothing to say about this, you're dead inside 


 
Step 7: Completion. You have survived your first fika experience and eaten delicious kladdkaka along the way. Please do not get locked in the bathroom before you leave. I am awesome. I have actual thoughts. I am one step closer to self actualization.
 
This is how you will feel
 

4 comments: